Saturday, September 6, 2008

September 6

I am home unexpectedly. I am midway between scheduled time at home periods. My first load went to Tucson and then straight back to my home port. Now I do not have a load until tomorrow morning.

What this means is that freight is slow. Miles have not been good the past three months and I am paid by the mile. This presents two problems.

First, the standard practice at our company is that drivers must whine to get more and better loads. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" is the common saying of the worldly wise driver. I think that as a Christian there must be some balance between being a doormat and being a money-grubber. Do we not need godly wisdom in such instances? And where does such wisdom come from? I think we must ask God for wisdom AND that it is important to check and make sure that one is in the Spirit, not in the flesh, when addressing such issues.

Second, my company has a pattern of flushing experienced drivers and bringing in a constant stream of new drivers. This makes it appealing to move on at this point. But this is one of the reasons that my company remains a fertile ground for witnessing. There are lots and lots of new drivers who always need help.

No comments: