Monday, October 20, 2008

Hurricanes

The weekend of September 13 was memorable. A great hurricane came to Houston.

On Thursday I was bound for Houston, but my company diverted me, along with a number of other drivers who were Houston bound, to Dallas. My wife, children, and disabled brother-in-law fled from Houston. They were rejected at their first stopping place, and wound up split between the homes of my brother and my sister in Dallas. Since there was no freight originating in Dallas, I spent Saturday and Sunday with my family while my company paid me (company policy applied). This, I felt, was beyond coincidence.

Tuesday my family returned to our home. Many trees were down, but the house was untouched. Only a large tree limb (over eight inches in diameter at the base) lay across the top of the carport. The limb was later removed.

But it gets better. Parts of our neighborhood would be without electricity for weeks, yet when my wife and children returned, we had electricity. There was no electricity to the north, south or west, but we had electricity.

But it gets better. My wife has a horse in the back yard area. The fence was down. I thought: "the horse will be gone but at least my wife and children are safe". The horse was standing in the fenced area when my family returned.

I understand that God is in charge. I understand that many Christian people lost their homes. I understand that had we lost our home, He would still provide.

Yet I thank and praise God for His great mercy, kindness and provision!

Jeremiah, a man with whom I look forward to speaking, had to witness the destruction of his beloved Jerusalem. He wrote:

It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed,
because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning:
great is thy faithfulness.

No comments: