Sunday, July 27, 2008

Most excellent church services

This began as a dissappointing weekend. My company failed to get me home when I had requested and left me stranded at our West Memphis, Arkansas, terminal from Saturday night through Monday morning. Once I determined I was stranded late Saturday, I was in foul humor. I had planned to be home with my family to attend services. Now I was 550 miles from home with no prospect of getting home until Monday evening or Tuesday. I had to read some scripture and meditate on it before I even walked into the operating center (our terminal) and faced other drivers.

Then a most amazing set of events transpired and this morning I had most excellent church.

When I went into the operating center there were quite a number of drivers. Some were eating. Some talking in small groups. Some were working on their laptop computers. I saw no one to speak with immediately and proceeded to the microwave to warm my soup. I had my laptop bag as well. While I was eating, one of the drivers who was using one of the few electrical outlets to charge his DVD player asked me if I would like to use the outlet to run my laptop. I told him to take his time, that I did not need to use the outlet right away, but I warned him that his question was an invitation to conversation and moved to his table.

Larry was from New York. He had last everything in a divorce. He had been driving truck for a year. He wanted to go to church in the morning. I told him I did not know any churches in the area, but he had asked the lady at the fuel desk and she had told him of her church. I went up to the fuel desk, got the name of the church, the street address, the service times and more precise directions.

This morning Larry and I headed off in my tractor at 07:00 to catch the early morning service at New Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church. We figured it would be easier to fit in the parking lot bobtail (bobtail means tractor with no trailer attached) during the early 08:00 service.

The service was EXCELLENT. The music was superb. The message was sound, biblically based and needful. The pastor preached on fasting, using as his text Matthew 6:16-18.

I felt that I really had church this morning, and I had not expected to get any church. God is so good.

So yes, there is still a bible teaching pastor in West Memphis, Arkansas. There is still a remnant scattered here and there.

No comments: