Monday, May 26, 2008

Church in Unexpected Places

I made it out of Canada without incident. There were of course delays around Toronto (it is a huge city, perhaps larger than my home) and there was a two hour delay recrossing the border at Sarnia (Port Huron) north of Detroit.

Now I was back in the Detroit area and my next assignment was to take a damaged empty trailer back to the Chicago terminal (actually in Gary, Indiana) for repairs. I would arrive in the Chicago area before noon on Saturday and not leave until late Sunday afternoon. This would be a rare opportunity to attend church services.

I asked questions at the terminal and searched the internet. There appeared to be no churches within walking distance (it is unwise to try and bring a 19,000 lb tractor which takes up four parking spots onto thin asphalt parking lots). I became resigned to not going to service Sunday, but God had something interesting in store.

After cleaning and maintaining the truck and catching up on paperwork Saturday, Sunday morning was an opportunity to pray and study the word. Then I grabbed my laundry and headed into the laundry room in terminal.

After a wait, I got my laundry in the machines, washed, dryed and packed up. There was a steady stream of drivers coming in (this is a huge terminal and many drivers look to stop there coming in and out of Chicago). Indeed, this is the only terminal with two laundry rooms.

A tall, thin driver in his mid 50s came in with his laundry bag. The machines were now full and I asked him if he knew there was a second laundry room. He did not. I grabbed my bag and asked him if he would like to see where the second room was located. He gladly followed me and on the way over remarked on how this world was much like the Titanic, headed for destruction with the passengers unaware. Aha! A believer!

What followed was discussion and fellowship that lasted close to two hours. William is an owner operator from one of the Carolinas. He is sound in his theology. Periodically other drivers would come into the laundry room. None objected to the discussion. Indeed, at one point, a young lady driver came in. She was listening attentively. William quickly changed the topic to a discussion of the essentials of salvation. Finally, I looked at the young lady and said: "Seems like you have gotten stuck in the laundry room with the two older religious guys". She answered: "Maybe I needed to hear this."

The discussion came to an end when a gruff trainer came in from the television lounge across the hall and informed us that William's voice was way too loud and that it was interferring with their television watching. William and I smiled and adjourned.

And so, church was had in the laundry room that Sunday morning (May 18), and I had not expected it.

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

No comments: